Wednesday, February 8, 2012

BFF for Kuulei

Me and My BFF Kuulei
OK so I picked up Kuulei from school last week and she was so quiet and a little down, I asked her what was going and she just continued to look out the window ignoring me.  Finally when we got home, I asked her if something happened in school.  She started to cry and told me that her BFF of 4 whole months told her she did not want to be her friend  anymore.  My first response was who cares about that girl, she is an evil, demonic child anyways, but before I let those words come out of my mouth, I grabbed Kuulei and gave her a big hug and told her that she was the most important little girl in the world and that she does not need friends to define who she is, WOW am I MOM of the year or what?  To my dismay, those words I uttered meant nothing to my little baby girl.  All she felt was that she lost her friend.  So in attempt to remedy the situation I went to her school the next day and sat in the observation booth and watched her interact with various kids in her class as well as her ex BFF, it was very clear that she was not engaging in any interaction with anyone, and she was basically being ignored by the 4 different teachers.  I watched what the student teachers were not doing to make my baby girl feel better.  I was fustrated and dissappointed I basically wanted to head into her classroom and pull my daughter out and then just beat the sh*t out of them.  Thank goodness I had a very quick and distinct visit from the Holy Ghost telling me, calm your bad self down and re-evaluate the situation and here is what I came up with

1.  Kuulei is my daughter not the student teachers.
2.  We as parents have the responsibility to teach our children to feel confident
3.   We as parents need to prioritize our time- focusing on our children and their needs
4.  Don't be so quick to judge the teacher- yes teachers are there to help teach our children, however, we   are the ones who teach our children first, we are the ones who implement our teaching as well as theirs.
5.  My daughter is 4 years old, she developing her own coping skills with various situations.
6.  I cannot control how other kids are, but I can control how I want my kids to be.
7.  I am not quite in the physical condition I would need to be if I even thought about kicking the sh*t out of someone, I probablly would have to pause in the middle..haha
8.  I need to spend more quality time with my daughter to let her know that her first and foremost BFF is her Mama!

So after sitting in the observation booth for over a week now, I just so happened to run into that little girls mom, I saw her sitting there and I was trying not to make eye contact with her, however, she came up to me and told me that here daughter came home from school last week and was really sad because Kuulei did not want to be her friend anymore....she wanted know if we could plan a playdate......GO FIGURE!  Wow!!! Just when I think I got everything figured out, someone throws me a curve ball!!!  Conclusion:  I guess I got worked up for nothing!!! Well, now Kuulei knows who her real BFF is .....ME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment